Friday, September 30, 2016

'Gahire Pani' by Ratnakar Matkari

Pages: 206
Goodreads, Amazon

Last month, I asked my Twitter followers if they'd be interested in gifting me a book for my birthday. Though a few fell prey to this sentimental yet evil appeal, I backed off thinking that it wasn't too nice of me to do something like this and didn't go back to this request until the day arrived. However, Abhijeet insisted on sending a book even though the birthday had almost left the calendar. Many thanks to him for gifting me 'Gahire Pani' ('Deep water' in Marathi).

After the heavy duty Hindi dose of Rashmirathi, I was a bit uncertain about whether to read 'Gahire Pani' without a Marathi dictionary. The author's introduction wasn't too helpful either since, strangely, he had written only about the TV show based on this book.

The book is a collection of horror and thriller short stories. The author is blessed with a weird mind (which I like!) that has him all sorts of supernatural ideas. The stories belong to various genres predominant among which is horror.

Though the stories aren't very scary, they are definitely thrilling. I found myself thinking about a few stories long after I had read them. The first story about a boy being able to predict anybody's date of death when he is told that person's birthday is definitely one such story.

Though most of the horror stories score high on the thrill quotient, the ones about time travel. murder plot and witchcraft are forgettable. An impressive narrative in this maze of thrill is the story of a girl who keeps getting flashes about an assault in her previous life. Though the plot's climax is not much to speak about, the story has been told in the form of letters from the protagonist to herself. It was a really interesting way of unfolding the events.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the book and will gladly read anything else by the author. I thank Abhijeet again for giving me the chance to read something so out of my reading span. Without this gift, I would have been a stranger to a Poe-sque Marathi author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment